Cosmetology Schools in Houston, Texas
The Ogle School Houston campus is in the Stafford suburb of Houston, in the upscale Fountains on the Lake mall. The school offers day and evening courses and qualifications in cosmetology, including hair, skin and nails. As well as class training, students receive invaluable practical experience in our on-campus, student-powered salons, supervised by our licensed, experienced instructors.
Houston City Guide
Houston has gone from backwater to boom town over the last century, and it’s now the biggest city in Texas, and fourth largest in the United States. This is truly a city of opportunity, where a healthy job market, affordable housing and a low cost of living (11% below the average in the rest of the States) attract a young and vibrant population.
Known as the Bayou City because of its waterways, Houston is home to 2.1 million people, 26 Fortune 500 companies, and has been named America’s next great global city. Houstonians enjoy their culture and nightlife, with 11,000 restaurants, world-class entertainment and many sports venues.
The suburb of Stafford, where the Ogle School campus is located, enjoys freedom from property tax for residents and businesses, making it famous as an “Island of Business Opportunity”.
Elsewhere in Houston, the Downtown Historic District is the original center of the city, showing off some beautiful original 1800s buildings and trendy lofts, while the nearby Museum and Arts Districts are packed with cultural venues and attractions.
Houston has well over 300 parks – in fact, of the 10 biggest US cities, it has the most green space. Near the Ogle School campus in Stafford, Gordon Fountain Lake Park has a lighted jogging trail and lake, while the Stafford City Park, the largest in the area, has a range of sports facilities and open spaces.
There are a huge range of local sports teams – Minute Maid Park, an impressive stadium with a retractable roof, is home to the Astros baseball team, while the Toyota Center, with the largest indoor screen in the world, home of the Rockets basketball team.
Houston has an exciting and ever-changing music scene, with an array of festivals for all musical tastes. The Houston International Festival is an eclectic few days of music stages, art markets and mouth-watering food taking place in the Downtown area, while the Free Press Summer Festival is a music and arts festival with big name bands and installation art that festival-goers can climb on, interact with and enjoy.
Something Wicked is Houston’s amazing Halloween electronic dance festival, an orgy of costumes, music and chills; Springboard South is the newest and most exciting local festival – two stages showcase up-and-coming new bands to an audience of fans and music professionals looking for the next big thing; and the Texas Crawfish Festival, held at Old Town Spring, north of Houston, is one of the biggest and oldest local festivals, featuring local and national artists … plus a lot of crawfish, naturally!
Beauty History of Houston
- The Galleria mall, home of upscale shopping and luxury beauty in Houston, opened in 1970.
- Houston is home to the oldest continuously licensed beauty school in the United States. The Franklin Beauty School is also the star of the reality TV show Houston Beauty, aired on the Oprah Winfrey Network.
Houston Beauty Pageants and Events
- Houston Fashion Week is a major event in the beauty calendar, spanning several days of catwalk shows and networking for fashion industry professionals. There are casting calls for models for the runway shows in the run-up to the event.
- Houston is one of the pageant capitals of Texas, with heats running for a range of different competitions.
- The Forever Beautiful Pageant, a natural beauty pageant system running throughout Texas, has a preliminary heat in Houston.
- Talent America Houston is a heat of the longest running American talent show, where singers, dancers and other performers can showcase their talents to a panel of industry professionals.
- The Texas Parade of Hearts pageants, with natural and glitz competitions, holds its finals in Houston.
- Greenspoint Mall recently held an appreciation day for beauty professionals, with speakers and demonstrations.
Houston Beauty Employment Facts
- Houston has scored 20th place in Forbes magazine’s list of Best Places for Business and Careers in the United States.
- There was a healthy 2.6% job growth in Houston in 2011, with 50,000 new residents moving to the city to take advantage of the opportunities on offer.
- Houston has a large young adult population – the median age is 33, three years younger than the national average.
- Texas has great levels of employment for hairdressers, hairstylists and cosmetologists – second highest in the United States, with over 24,000 jobs in the sector, and the number is rising. Employment levels in the beauty sector are among the highest nationwide.
- The Galleria mall alone has 12 beauty salons, offering everything from eyebrow threading to facial spa treatments.
- One Houston beauty success story is Jentry Kelly, who went from working on the Laura Mercier counter at the Galleria mall, and went on to design her own make-up range in New York, coming back to Houston to launch it in 2011.
Ogle Campus Lowdown
The Fountains on the Lake mall, where the Ogle School campus is located, is well-stocked with restaurants and cafés. If you’ve got a hankering for some grilled gator tail, Razzoo’s Cajun Café is the place to head – or if a bacon and egg cheeseburger is more your style, the nearby 59 diner is the place for a back-to-basics breakfast. The Tradicao Brazilian Steakhouse is a favorite with carnivorous Stafford locals.
There are more than 40 colleges and universities in Houston. The University of Houston alone has over 40 thousand students, so the facilities and nightspots for students in the city are never-ending. (Insider tip: check out Valhalla, the bar hidden under the chemistry building at Rice University, near the Museum District – run by volunteers and not for profit means super-cheap drinks!)
Local Social Presence
Read local reviews of the Ogle School in Houston, Texas:
Forbes magazine has declared Houston America’s Coolest City, and it’s easy to see why. Houston has its own resident theater, ballet and symphony companies, while the Downtown area has many art galleries, bars and nightclubs to explore.
Houston’s Theater District competes with the likes of New York for variety of productions and number of seats, with the Bayou Place entertainment complex offering restaurants, movie theaters and green spaces for visitors to enjoy.
The Museum District is one of the largest of its kind in the United States, with over 500 cultural organizations based there. The 19 museums in the area include the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum, the Contemporary Arts Museum and the Children’s Museum.
But Houston’s attractions aren’t all concentrated Downtown – the suburb of Stafford, home to the Ogle School campus, has its own venues, including the Stafford Center, where the theater has hosted international and local productions.
Houstonians like their shopping big, bold and convenient. In fact, you don’t even need to poke your head above ground to enjoy the delights of Downtown Houston. Many major buildings are linked by the underground air-conditioned Houston tunnel system, which runs under 95 city blocks and offers banks, shops and food outlets to commuters and shoppers!
The Galleria mall in Houston is the largest in Texas, with 400 stores, two swimming pools, an ice rink and 12 beauty salons. The anchor stores in the mall hold make-up launches for big brand names, such as the Dolce & Gabbana event held for the premiere of a glamorous make-up line held at Saks Fifth Avenue recently.
The Fountains on the Lake mall, where the Ogle School campus is located, is an upscale Stafford shopping and entertainment destination.
Fun Fact About Houston!
If Houston were a country, it would have the 30th largest economy in the world!
WHY WAIT? NEXT CLASS STARTS JULY 20TH.
A BEAUTIFUL CAREER STARTS HERE!
|Hi future beauty professional! We can’t wait to speak you. Fill out the form below and we’ll get you the information you need.|