If you visit an Ogle School clinical salon, you’ll likely see our students using Dermalogica products to help support healthy skin. What are these products, why do we use them, and what is this brand all about? Here’s everything you need to know about this quality skincare brand.
What Is Dermalogica?
Dermalogica was founded in 1986 by Jane Wurwand, a professional skin therapist, to try and improve skincare and skin health education worldwide. Jane has always had a strong passion for skincare, and today, that passion has paid off, making Dermalogica the #1 professional skincare brand in the United Kingdom and worldwide. It’s sold in more than 85 countries worldwide, with over 20,000 skin therapists helping people experience Dermalogica more effectively.
The Timeline of Dermalogica
Dermalogica got its start back in 1986, and for nearly 40 years, it’s been providing people with better skincare. Here are some of the most important points on the Dermalogica timeline:
- 1983 – The forerunner of Dermalogica is formed. The International Dermal Institute, intended to handle the gap in skincare knowledge in the United States, Europe, and South Africa.
- 1986 – Dermalogica is founded by Jane Wurwand.
- 1987 – Dermalogica expands from its initial founding in Los Angeles, spreading to over 80 countries.
- 2000 – The brand starts its “We’re Not Pretty” campaign, emphasizing skin health rather than beauty.
- 2001 – Bestselling product, the Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant, is launched, and Dermalogica unveils its Face Mapping skin analysis program to offer Bespoke skincare options.
- 2003 – Dermalogica offers its first Concept Space in Santa Monica.
- 2006 – The MicroZone Treatment launches, providing a quick treatment for many skincare concerns.
- 2013 – Dermalogica launches a line for teenage skin, focusing on signs of skin aging.
- 2014 – With the Face Map the Nation campaign, Dermalogica completes mapping 50,000 faces.
The idea behind Dermalogica is that anyone can feel comfortable in their own skin, regardless of their skin texture, color, or age. It wants to ensure that you have the healthiest skin with less skin damage. With its innovative products, it’s able to target various skin care concerns and skin challenges that are actually related to issues like environmental stress and dry skin.
These skin care professionals don’t focus on over-the-top marketing campaigns or fancy skincare packaging. Instead, they just allow these skincare products to speak for themselves. They believe that skincare packaging shouldn’t be what sells their brand. The strength of these quality ingredients and advanced formulas have made Dermalogica not just the top British skincare brand, but one of the top advanced skincare solutions internationally.
Product Lines and Targeted Issues
The beauty products at Dermalogica are intended to deal with a wide range of skincare concerns, which may vary depending on your personal needs. Here are a few of the skin conditions and skin types Dermalogica tackles:
- Oiliness (Excess sebum)
- Reactive skin
- Acne and breakouts
- Appearance of skin aging
- Uneven skin tone
- Sensitive skin and redness
- Dry and dehydrated skin
- Shaving problems
- Dark spots
- Free radical damage
- Dead skin cells
The ingredients that Dermalogica uses to promote healthy-looking skin are varied, ranging from its Vitamin C serum to mineral oil ingredients and phytic acid. No matter what ingredients a specific product has, from lavender extracts to broad-spectrum SPF ingredients, you can always find information about these ingredients on the company’s website. This is one of the reasons they’re such a prominent choice of skin care for people looking to achieve clearer skin.
Dermalogica Range of Skin Systems
The main point of Dermalogica is to create skincare products that work. The product range comes from long-term testing devised by skincare experts. Here are a few of the ranges available:
- Daily skin health
- Age smart
- Active clearing
- Dermalogica Biolumin-C Serum
- Clear start
- Dermalogica UltraCalming Cleanser
Many of these products are well-known in the skincare community and beyond. The Dermalogica Biolumin-C and Dermalogica UltraCalming Cleanser, for example, are popular names among the general public due to their ability to handle several skincare concerns and skin challenges.
Dermalogica’s Giveback Programs
With its variety of giveback programs, Dermalogica can give back to women who have made the brand so successful. With the Dermalogica Foundation back in 1999, FITE (Financial Independence Through Entrepreneurship) in 2010, and its partnerships today to help underserved women access education. Dermalogica never wants to forget its roots.
Whether you’ve been a longtime lover of Dermalogica or this is the first time you’ve learned about the brand, its product range offers plenty to get excited about. From daily microfoliant options to avoiding signs of skin aging, you can rely on the Dermalogica mapping skin analysis and its consistently high-quality ingredients to provide you with skincare that you’re proud to use. Dermalogica products are available through the company’s official website as well as at most Ogle School salon locations.