If you’re suffering from any one of a number of unsightly but common skin issues — such as acne, wrinkles, rosacea or others — your first line of attack is probably camouflage. It’s tempting to get out your makeup kit and perform a quick “band-aid” fix … and perhaps follow that by purchasing an expensive regime of skincare treatments.
However, did you know there are many product-free approaches you can take to significantly improve your skin? Just a few simple steps daily can either assist with existing skin conditions or prevent new problems from arising. Consider these ideas before running out to buy the latest cream,serum or injectable.
Place this Image on Your Site!
Simply copy and paste the code below and you can share this infographic on your site:
- Drink lots of water. You’ve likely heard this all your life, but there’s a reason this advice never goes out of style. Your skin is made up of cells, which are made up of water. And if you don’t get enough water, neither does your skin, resulting in dehydration and possible wrinkles. Water also washes out toxins, which can contribute to acne, and aids in cell regeneration.
- Eat a good diet. Avoiding hormone-laden, fatty, sugary or processed foods can make a big difference in blemish-prone skin. And including lots of vitamin-rich foods such as fruits, vegetables, fish, eggs and whole grains can add defensive antioxidants to your body, resulting in clearer, brighter skin.
- Get your exercise. Regular physical exercise — resulting in a good sweat — is not only beneficial to your figure, it’s great for your complexion as well. When you sweat, your pores open up and release accumulated dirt. Sweating also rids your body of toxins, which aids in clearing your skin. Just don’t forget to wash your face after you sweat in order to make sure the bad stuff is fully rinsed away!
- And exercise your face! Performing a few easy facial exercises — dubbed “face yoga” — six days a week for about 20 minutes at a time is a non-invasive alternative to anti-aging regimes such as BOTOX. The exercises, performed by making various faces and smoothing with fingertips, “work out” all layers of your skin and are designed to improve everything from eye bags to loose jowls. Will it work as fast as BOTOX? That’s the catch — no, but you can expect to see cumulative results after a couple months.
- Always wash with lukewarm water. Splashing your face with hot water can strip natural oils, while temperature extremes in either direction (hot or cold) can simply exacerbate irritation and possible outbreaks. Use the level of “lukewarm” that is most comfortable for you, but don’t veer too far to the blue or red range of temperature. If you love the feeling of cold water against your skin, it’s OK to do a cool final rinse.
Follow these guidelines faithfully and you should start seeing clearer, smoother skin — naturally, without the effort, cost or chemicals involved in beauty products.