If there’s anyone you can trust when it comes to the latest and greatest in beauty trends, it’s international supermodel Derek Zoolander (move over, Hansel). Though the sequel to the cult hit is chock full of new aesthetic gems, we’ve assembled his best tips for making you ridiculously good-looking. After all, you never know when you might get challenged to a walk-off.
Paste this Image on Your Site!
Simply copy and paste the code below and you can share this infographic on your site:
Find Your Own ‘Blue Steel’:
Okay, so maybe your look won’t quite be Blue Steel, but the fact is that within all of us, there is an attention-getting camera-ready look. You have 42 facial muscles at your disposal, so step in front of that mirror and start practicing. Here’s a good place to begin:
- Tilt your head: This softens your appearance and makes you look more welcoming.
- Smile with your eyes: You don’t need a toothy grin to smile. Think a pleasant thought and your eyes will immediately widen and brighten.
- It’s important to keep in mind that Zoolander is, in the end, a comedy. So if there’s one laugh you don’t want to recreate, it’s the one you’ll get when you give into puckering your lips during photos.
Keep Those Bangs in Check:
Always a great way to change up your look without too much drama, bangs still require a little minor maintenance to ensure you’re looking your best. Even though we may not all have Hansel’s access to an emergency bang trim at all times, a careful clipping every few weeks will extend the life of your look. If you’re not up to a self-trim (or trusting of the hands of a friend), many salons will offer a quick touch-up by appointment between stylings.
Go Deep With a Massage:
Though we can’t recommend the sadistic shiatsu number that Derek suffers through, there are countless beauty benefits to a good massage, including:
- Improved skin firmness and reduction of wrinkles and cellulite
- Stress Relief
- Stronger Hair (if you’re up for a scalp massage)
Everyone should acknowledge the cautionary tale of J.P. Prewitt, a hand model (a.k.a. finger jockey) who is forced to live with his hands in beauty-preserving sealed glass domes. The lesson? Beauty may not last forever, no matter how hard we try, but there’s a lot we can do to slow the cruel crawl of time. Here are just a few:
- Beware of the sun: It’s what causes most premature aging, so consider SPF your new best friend.
- Exercise: Even a short walk (or walk-off) helps boost your metabolism and release age-defying endorphins.
- See below: Glass by glass, this is a great way to keep those wrinkles at bay.
Drink More Water:
As Derek said, “Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty.” Translation? You’re more than 60% water, so staying hydrated goes a long way toward better-looking skin. Not only does it help relieve stress, it is the key to eliminating toxins and revitalizing your skin. So next time you’re craving that Orange Mocha Frappachino, maybe swap it out for a glass of H2O instead.