“Esthetician” has a very clinical sound to it, but real estheticians in the beauty industry are very hands-on and caring. Esthetics students transform the skin from the ground up, creating a healthy foundation for any and all skin treatments, whether they’re short-term treatments or long-term treatments.
However, the complexion isn’t the end of an esthetician’s job. Estheticians also learn the appropriate waxing and other skincare-related techniques that can equip an esthetician to provide clients with the skin that they love all over their bodies.
Plus, estheticians get access to all sorts of unique and interesting career opportunities. Your choices are dramatically broad and incredibly varied, including spas and clinics in medical offices, cruise ships, and even exotic destinations.
If this all sounds incredible to you, you’re not alone. Here are 11 signs that might indicate that you’re the perfect person to start studying the field of esthetics in search of an eventual career.
1. As a child, mud puddles weren’t just a fun way for you to play. You had already picked up on the way your mom’s beauty magazines looked, and you slathered mud right on your face to try and achieve the same look.
2. As you got older, you created homemade “spa days” for Mother’s Day gifts. These gifts may have been meticulously researched, including cucumber slices, bubble baths, and scented candles.
3. Your birthday lists as a teenager tended to include skincare products, like Clarisonic brushes and magnifying lamps. More often than not, these were heavily researched and specific to your own skincare needs, not just the most popular skincare products on the market.
4. You may have also been the only one of your friends who actually resisted picking at those adolescent pimples. You might have even gotten a reputation among your friends for convincing them to avoid picking at these pimples as well.
5. However, pimples and blackheads have never grossed you out. You may even get lots of satisfaction from properly extracting them, and you might even watch videos of it now.
6. With access to the ingredients in a friend’s refrigerator or pantry, you can whip up a homemade facial for anyone. You can even specialize it to target the skin conditions they’re dealing with.
7. You regularly receive compliments about your own complexion. Most of the time when you receive these compliments, you’re not even wearing makeup.
8. You notice bikini waxes at the pool or beach, and you notice even more when they’re not done very well.
9. Even more than waxes, however, you definitely notice when people don’t use sunscreen at the beach, and you have to keep yourself from warning them about the risks of skin cancer.
10. You love the smell of eucalyptus and tea tree oil. Nothing makes you happier than the idea of spending every day in a spa, even as an esthetician rather than as a client.
11. More than that, you love the idea of helping a person improve their beauty journey by improving the canvas they start with. You see yourself not as changing how a person’s skin looks, but instead as creating a beautiful canvas for them.
If you find yourself reflected in many or even all of these points, an esthetician career may be for you. Request more information about the Ogle School esthetician program to learn more.