Summertime is the season to play outdoors and have a great time. However, while sports, picnics, and hot-weather activities are exciting to be part of, they can also pose a beauty challenge. A full face of makeup can quickly start running, look cakey and unnatural, and be incredibly hot to be outside in.
However, you don’t have to forgo makeup completely to enjoy yourself outdoors during the summer. With these quick and easy tips, you can look incredible throughout summer and straight through to fall.
1. Go Light
First of all, it’s important to use a lighter hand with your makeup than you might during the cooler months. This is mostly because of sweat. When the weather is warmer, you’ll sweat more, which means more likelihood that you’ll literally sweat your makeup off.
However, don’t worry if you’re still looking for considerable coverage during the summer. Here are a few ways to lighten up your look without worrying about makeup issues.
- Apply a primer. Primers help you hold your makeup in place without feeling heavy or sticky during the day.
- Consider skipping your foundation. You can try spot-concealing problem areas or using lightweight tinted moisture, then sealing with a dusting of powder.
- Try a stick concealer. Stick concealers will usually stand up to hot weather and humidity longer than a liquid concealer.
- Use a liquid or gloss formula for your lips. Lip stains are also a great option for long-lasting lip color.
- Carry blotting papers in your purse. With blotting papers, you can dab away shiny spots without ruining your makeup.
2. Go Colorful, but Carefully
Summertime is the right time for a beautiful golden glow, but we all know that getting this tan from the sun itself is dangerous. Bronzer, on the other hand, gives you a believable bit of warmth that you don’t have to get from the sun. Adding bronzer can make your eyes look brighter, your teeth look whiter, and your body as a whole look healthier.
However, it’s also hard to apply effectively, especially for beginners. Try out a bronzing powder to dust on key parts of your face to get an ultra-believable look. Here are a few tips you can use to create a bronzed appearance without covering your face completely, which will make your tan look super-fake.
- Concentrate on areas where the sun naturally hits, like your nose, cheekbones, forehead, and chin.
- Consider dusting areas outside of your face. This may include your temples, earlobes, and neck, especially if you’re wearing a short haircut or updo.
- Experiment with gleam and shimmer within the powder itself.
- Match your bronzer with shimmery eyeshadows as well. Gold and rose gold shadows can enhance the bronzer even more.
- Use a liquid highlighter or brighter blush to finish off your bronzed look.
- Experiment with adding these products to the nose and browbone, but be careful that it doesn’t look fake.
3. Go Waterproof
From damp ocean breezes to accidental pool splashes and heavy amounts of perspiration, summer can be a very wet season despite the dry air. Waterproof makeup is a great way to avoid these issues. Here are a few ways to add waterproof makeup to your look.
- Invest in waterproof mascara. Mascara is often the main culprit of ruined makeup looks due to water.
- If you find waterproof formulas irritating, consider applying your normal mascara, then applying clear mascara to seal it in.
- Instead of using normal mascara on your bottom lashes, use clear mascara to reduce runs.
- When you’re using lots of waterproof makeup, you should also invest in a good makeup remover to remove it all.
Many of these concepts also apply to your fragrance and haircare routines. Generally try to lighten up on your products, use as much gleam and golden products as you can, and choose your makeup to align with the outdoor activities you’re excited to try out.
Lastly, remember that sunscreen is critical year-round. Especially during the sunniest months of the year when you’re likely to be outside the most frequently. Either invest in a moisturizer with SPF or add sunscreen to your beauty routine.
We hope you have an amazing summer!