Glowing skin is one of the most desired skin types in current beauty discourse. It seems like everyone is looking for healthy skin that they describe as “glowing,” although not many people know what they might need to do if they want to achieve it. If glowing skin is on your wishlist, here’s what you should know about achieving it.
Know What You’re Targeting
Of course, if you’re looking to get glowing skin, it’s likely that you’re currently struggling with dull skin. However, understanding what “dull skin” means to you can help you target your skincare regimen toward the right needs. Here are a few of the complaints that you might have surrounding your skin:
- Excess dead skin cells
- Dry skin
- Oily skin
- Issues with blood circulation
- Uneven skin tone
- Sensitive skin
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Premature aging
It’s unlikely that you’ll be dealing with all of these problems. Most people are only dealing with a few of these issues that are blocking them from having healthy-looking skin. Identify the problem you’re dealing with first; then, you can move on to fixing them.
Find the Right Ingredients and Products
To start with, you’ll want to find options that don’t require you to purchase any products. There are two main things that can make your skin glow without having to purchase any products: getting your beauty sleep and drinking lots of water. Sleep allows your body to repair the skin barrier, leading to better skin health overall. Drinking between four and eight glasses of water per day helps you keep your skin hydrated from the inside, leading to better skin elasticity.
From here, it’s a good idea to start incorporating some skin care products into your daily routine. Most people recommend at least a few starting options: a cleanser, a moisturizer, and an SPF product.
For the cleanser, look for a gentle exfoliator. Exfoliators work to remove dead cells, environmental aggressors, and other gunk, including old makeup, from the outer layer of the skin. This leaves the skin radiant and bright. It also increases blood flow, which can lead to more healthy cells growing back. Exfoliants often require you to wash your face using the cleanser and warm water, although yours might recommend rubbing in the product, then rinsing with warm water.
Next is moisturizer. While gentle exfoliants do a great job of removing dead skin cells and giving you the clearest skin possible, they also remove some of the beneficial surface layers that keep moisture in. Once you exfoliate, you also need to add extra hydration through moisturization, whether that’s with a hydrating face mask, a lotion, or something else entirely.
Finally, it’s critical that you include something with SPF to protect your sensitive skin. Skin cancer is a real problem that many people are diagnosed with every year, and if you’re looking to maintain a healthy glow, you need to avoid sun damage, both to avoid the premature aging issues that go along with it and to avoid developing skin cancer. You can do this with a dedicated facial sunscreen, various chemical or mineral sunscreens, or another product that has SPF in it.
While these are the three most important parts of a consistent skincare routine, you can also add other beauty routines to your schedule every morning. Some people have upwards of a 20-step skincare routine every day because it helps center them and give their skin a natural glow that they love.
Invest in Great Brands
If you are looking for skincare products that can help you develop healthy skin, one of the most important components is to invest in amazing brands. Here are a few great brands, as well as some of the best products to consider investing in.
- Peter Thomas Roth – The Peter Thomas Roth 24K Gold Firm & Lift collection is a well-known option to create a natural glow. Each product in this line includes specks of 24-karat and colloidal gold, providing anti-aging benefits and making you feel incredibly luxurious with every application.
- Mario Badescu – This brand is known for addressing different skin types, especially acne-prone combinations of different skin types. By maintaining gentle formulas with powerful ingredients, these lines provide natural skincare options that are still effective.
- DERMA E – This unique beauty brand got its start in a health food store in Southern California, and all products are vegan, GMO-free, and cruelty-free. With sixteen different collections, each targeting a specific skin or body concern, DERMA E is perfect for health-conscious beauty lovers.
- Kiehl’s – The products at Kiehl’s are very strong but are still gentle on the skin. You can start seeing results within the first few days of using them. Additionally, all products are dermatologist-recommended, and the formulas are very unique.
If you want to learn more about some of these products, you can check out the Ogle School YouTube video about brands for a glowing, radiant skincare routine.
Learn More About the Science Behind Great Skin
Glowing, radiant skin is something that you can find scientific paths to. Outside of getting the recommended eight hours of sleep and drinking plenty of water, there are several things that can help you get and maintain this lit-from-within glow that everyone is looking for. If you’re the type of person who really loves learning more about the science behind skincare, consider looking into the esthetics program at Ogle School, where you’ll learn more and turn your esthetics interest into a career.