Get the most out of your cosmetology education. Follow these great tips from Modern Salon!
1. Always be 15 minutes early. Arriving early to school every day gives you the opportunity to prepare for class. Clean and organize your tools, read ahead for class and find a good seat close to the front of the classroom. Employers are looking for stylists who are punctual, dependable and professional.
2. Dress for success. Take your school’s dress code a step further and keep your uniform ironed and stain-free. Don’t forget to shine your shoes too! You’ll look and feel professional, and you never know when a job opportunity will present itself.
3. Have respect for others. This may seem like an obvious tip, but it can be easy to forget if you’re having a bad day. In a field where customer service is important, attitude is everything! The trick is to leave the bad mood at home and come to school with a smile on your face. A positive attitude and genuine respect for others is a surefire way to success.
4. Give your full attention to instructors. Instructors are there because they love what they do and want to help you reach your own success. Show them respect and pay attention to what they have to say. They may tell you things you do not want to hear, but its for a reason. Take constructive criticism as a chance to grow and further develop your skills.
5. Always show up prepared. Success comes from preparation. Have your textbook in hand and tools clean and in good working condition. We advise that you do not lend out your books or tools, because they could be returned broken or not returned at all. It is okay to say no to someone when it is your future at stake.
6. Get plenty of practice on the clinic floor. This is the perfect opportunity to practice haircuts and techniques that are more challenging for you. The more challenges you take on, the more confident you will be in your craft. You’ll also expand your skill set, which means you can take on a variety of clients in your future career.
7. Talk to students who are close to graduation. Look around the clinic floor for the experienced students who give high quality cuts and service. Watch what they do, ask questions, and take notes. Most likely they will be flattered you asked, and now you have started to build up your network. When you’re ready to graduate, you can go back to your network to ask about the job hunt.
8. Make the most of guest speakers. Guest speakers attend schools to give demonstrations on a multitude of topics. A speaker can be a salon manager, product distributor, or industry expert. Your job is to do some research before the demonstration, so you are prepared to ask them questions. This is also a great way to build up your network, if the opportunity arises to get to know them better. What you get out of cosmetology school, is what you put into it. It is your future, make the most of it.
Read the original article at Modern Salon.com!