Master your craft in beauty and get the expertise you need to be successful in the world of cosmetology. Cosmetology is comprised of hairstyling, hair coloring, hair treatments, nail treatment, skincare, and makeup artistry. As a certified cosmetologist, you’re eligible to work as a stylist in a salon or a makeup artist in many different roles. Depending on the state-approved programs, you may need to take additional courses to specialize in a niche beauty market.
A degree in cosmetology will prepare you for various professions. You can work at a salon or spa, as an event stylist, a beauty magazine consultant, or even as a sales or marketing specialist or buyer in the cosmetics industry. And other aspiring beauty instructors will go on to teach at beauty schools. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that jobs in the cosmetology field will continue to increase.
Make it Happen
Ogle School’s cosmetology courses offer extensive training with tons of hands-on learning, providing comprehensive instruction on beauty and wellness. You will learn about cosmetology and attain hands-on experience first on mannequins, moving on to actual clients. Learn client relations and how to engage with customers successfully. Complete the cosmetology program in 7 months full-time or 13 months part-time. Upon graduation and after obtaining your license, you’ll move on to the next step of exploring careers as a hair stylist, platform artist, colorist, sales rep, salon manager, salon owner, or another career in the beauty industry.
In addition to hands-on training and experience in cosmetology school, you’ll create meaningful connections with peers, staff, and clients. Learn to spend time preparing for clients, readying your workstation, performing essential services, scheduling future appointments, and admin work. Although no experience is required to start your cosmetology training, having a GED or high school diploma is extremely important.
Skills & Attributes
Cosmetology is a creative field where clients will rely on your opinion for important decisions. You will need to be able to foresee trends before they even happen and work with innovative new techniques.
For most jobs in cosmetology, you will be required to stand or be on your feet for long hours of the day. You must be able to keep your demeanor positive when your body is tired. You also must have dexterity in your hands and the ability to be precise.
Being able to market your skills as a cosmetologist is extremely important. Cosmetologists can use social media networking as a tool to showcase their work, connect with other beauty professionals and reach new clients. Even if you aren’t working for yourself, being skillful and having a good attitude means more business.
Cosmetologists need great people skills to effectively communicate with customers, in person, on the phone, or even via email. Having a professional yet approachable vibe will help your clients feel at ease.
Tips & Trends
There are plenty of good reasons to attend beauty school and take the first steps to becoming a licensed cosmetologist. If you’re passionate about the beauty world, check out some of the top reasons cosmetology school is your perfect fit.
- You will be in demand. Cosmetology has a high demand for cosmetologists that is increasing yearly. Right now, you will have a good sense of job security. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that the cosmetology industry will continue to grow.
- Transition quickly into the industry. Once you get your license, you’ll have many career options that will help you get working very quickly. Cosmetology school can help you network to find opportunities right when you graduate.
- Flexibility of learning. With many options to learn, you can build a beauty school schedule that fits your life. There are part-time, evening, and online class options available.
- It’s so much more than hair and makeup. You will learn important life skills that will stay with you beyond beauty school. You’ll pick up useful business skills and other attributes that will help you succeed in all areas of life.
- Follow your passion. If you love to make people feel good about themselves and have a passion for beauty, cosmetology school is the perfect place for you to thrive. Create a career you love when you train at a cosmetology school.