Master the business of beauty and get the expertise you need to be successful in the world of cosmetology. Cosmetology is the study of different beauty treatments and covers a wide range of services to hairstyling and nail treatment to skincare and makeup. Being a cosmetologist means you’ve completed the necessary training and have a thorough understanding of beauty and wellness practices. You may want to work in a specific area, but you will usually have a complete a full cosmetology program to fulfil state requirements.
There are several different professionals that a degree in cosmetology will prepare you for. You can work at a salon or spa, as an event stylist, as a beauty magazine consultant, or even a sales or marketing specialist in the cosmetics industry. And others will even go on to teach at beauty school. The Bureau of Labor Statistics(BLS) predicts that jobs in the cosmetology field will increase by 10% by 2024.
Make it Happen
Ogle School’s cosmetology courses incorporate 1,500 hours on extensive training with tons of hands-on learning to provide a complete understanding of beauty and wellness. Through lectures, demonstrations and student participation, you will learn about cosmetology theory and practice through mannequin repetitions and salon activities. You’ll also be prepared for dealing with customers when you learn about communication, salesmanship, success psychology, and professionalism. Complete the cosmetology program in 11 months full time or 18 months part time. Upon graduation, you’ll be prepared for a career as a hair stylist, platform artist, colorist, sales rep, salon manager, or salon owner.
Though you’ll get hands-on training and experience in cosmetology school, there are some day-to-day activities that will work themselves out better with experience. In one day you’ll spend time preparing for clients, readying your work station, performing the actual services, scheduling future appointments, and admin work. Although there is no experience required to start your cosmetology training, having a GED or high school diploma is extremely important.
Skills & Attributes
Cosmetology is a creative field where clients will rely on your option on important decisions. You will need to be able to foresee trends before they even happen and work with innovative new techniques.
For most jobs in cosmetology, you will be required to stand or be on your feet for long hours of the day. You must be able to keep your demeanor even when your body is tired. You also must have dexterity in your hands and ability to be precise.
Being able to market your skills as a cosmetologist is extremely important. Cosmetologists can use social media networking as a tool to showcase your work, connect with other beauty professionals and reach new clients. Event if you aren’t working for yourself, being skillful and having a good attitude means more business.
Cosmetologists need to be able to effectively communicate with customers, in person, on the phone or even via email. Having a professional yet approachable vibe, will help your clients feel at ease.
In May 2016 the BLS found that the mean annual wage of a cosmetologist was almost $30,000 a year, and that doesn’t even include tips (but this also doesn’t include all types of cosmetologists). It’s hard to get an accurate number because there is such a range between high end facilities, spa chains, or other establishments. But things are definitely looking good for the cosmetology field.
Tips & Trends
There are plenty of good reasons to attend beauty school and take the first steps to becoming a licensed cosmetologist. If you’re passionate about the world of beauty check out some of the top reasons why cosmetology school is your perfect fit.
- You will be in demand. Cosmetology is field that is going through a boom at the moment, with the demand for cosmetologists increasing each year. Right now, you will have a good sense of job security.
- Transition quickly into the industry. Once you get your license, you’ll have a huge range of career options that will help you get working very quickly. Cosmetology school can help you network to find opportunities right when you graduate.
- Flexibility of learning. With many options to learn, you can build a beauty school schedule that fits around your life. There are part-time, evening and online class options available.
- It’s so much more than hair and makeup. You will learn important life skills that will stay with you beyond beauty school. You’ll pick up useful business skills and other attributes that will help you succeed in all areas of life.
- Follow your passion. If you love to make people feel good about themselves and have a passion for beauty, cosmetology school is the perfect place for you to thrive. Create a career you love when you train at a cosmetology school.